Many seasonal residents in Southwest Florida will be heading back to their northern homes in about a month.
Preparing your home for your departure is very important to help ward off problems from occurring while you are away.
Here are a few tips before leaving your home for the season:
- Have your air conditioner serviced to ensure it will run throughout the summer.
- Forward your mail. You can get and fill out a temporary change of address form from your local post office or do it online.
- If you have newspapers delivered, contact the newspaper to stop delivery.
- If you have a phone in your home, put your telephone service on hold.
- Unplug all appliances to prevent fires if there is a faulty switch or rodents gnawing on a wire.
- Make sure all of your screens are intact to prevent animals and insects from entering your pool area or lanai.
- Dispose of or give away all perishable items from refrigerator, pantry and cabinets. If you want to keep rice, flour, crackers etc., make sure they are stored in a plastic air tight container.
- Do a thorough cleaning or have your home cleaned.
- Have your windows professionally cleaned as stains and haze can cause permanent damage.
- Leave all doors open to prevent moisture build up, mold and to help air circulation throughout your home (this includes bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, pantry etc.) .
- Leave your ceiling fans on low to help with air circulation.
Closing your home for the season can be somewhat time consuming so you may want to consider hiring a company to take care of everything for you. Also, who is doing routine checks on your home while you are away?
It is better to hire a reputable company to take care of your home than relying on a family member or friend as utilizing a professional company will ensure that everything gets done in a timely manner.
Family and friends have their own lives, routines and schedules but a professional property management is dependable, is available and knows what to do.
So, how do you choose a good property management company? There are a few things to consider:
- Is the property management company established in your area. How many years have they been caring for people’s properties in your area?
- Are they licensed, bonded and insured? This is very important!
- Do they have a good reputation in your area?
- Are they available and reachable 24/7 in case of an emergency?
- Are they easy to contact with questions while you are out of town?
- Do they have a professional website displaying current information?
- Do they offer services to fix a problem if it arises?
It is a luxury to have a summer home in Southwest Florida and when you are away visiting your winter home, it provides peace of mind to know that a true professional company is keeping an eye on your summer home while you are away.
Jumpp To It has been taking care of homes in Southwest Florida since 2001. They are licensed, bonded and insured plus meet all of the criteria listed above for a great property management company. Contact Jumpp To It if you would like to have your home in SWFL cared for while you are away or if you need cleaning, pressure cleaning, window cleaning or handyman services. Jumpp To It, Whenever and Wherever you Need Us!